I believe that the ideas we dwell on become our reality, which means that reality follows thought... which can be a scary thing if you're a relentlessly negative individual. But by the same token, if you're a positive thinker, it can bring you incredible riches. You only go as far as your thoughts can take you. If you think you can be successful, you can be. But if you think, "The deck is stacked against me, nothing works well, I just know I'll fail," then you'll be right then, too.
That's why it's not a good idea to go around talking about how bad things are. Why jinx yourself subconsciously? As I write this, economy's not doing especially well; but it doesn't help to keep dwelling on that unless you're using the notion as an instrument of change. Otherwise, avoid it in your business life.
One of the richest people in America, Donald Trump, once said, "I decided as a young man that I would be a millionaire, and of course I met that goal rather quickly. And then I thought, Why can't I be a billionaire?" The secret, he says, is to choose a profession you love -- in his case, real estate -- and then learn everything about it, until you know more about it than almost anyone else. Donald Trump believed he could be rich, and he became rich. The richer he got, the richer he knew he could become.
Admittedly, most people aren't interested in trying to become billionaires. But if you're in business, you should be thinking constantly about success, whatever that means to you -- a comfortable lifestyle, living well, or going for true riches. Otherwise, what's the point? That's your choice. Push the envelope. Know that you can be greater than you are now. I've noticed over the years that most people just want to earn a steady paycheck and get by in life. They prefer to focus on life outside work, and that's fine.
My mentor has a friend back in his hometown of St. Paul, Minnesota who worked as an airline mechanic and made pretty good money. But all he really wanted to do with his whole life was go fishing. A lot of us like to go fishing once in a while; this man likes to go fishing every week, sometimes several times a week. I'm not going to knock him, because that's his great pleasure in life. But if you're in business, you can't always go fishing... at least not for fish.
That's why it's not a good idea to go around talking about how bad things are. Why jinx yourself subconsciously? As I write this, economy's not doing especially well; but it doesn't help to keep dwelling on that unless you're using the notion as an instrument of change. Otherwise, avoid it in your business life.
One of the richest people in America, Donald Trump, once said, "I decided as a young man that I would be a millionaire, and of course I met that goal rather quickly. And then I thought, Why can't I be a billionaire?" The secret, he says, is to choose a profession you love -- in his case, real estate -- and then learn everything about it, until you know more about it than almost anyone else. Donald Trump believed he could be rich, and he became rich. The richer he got, the richer he knew he could become.
Admittedly, most people aren't interested in trying to become billionaires. But if you're in business, you should be thinking constantly about success, whatever that means to you -- a comfortable lifestyle, living well, or going for true riches. Otherwise, what's the point? That's your choice. Push the envelope. Know that you can be greater than you are now. I've noticed over the years that most people just want to earn a steady paycheck and get by in life. They prefer to focus on life outside work, and that's fine.
My mentor has a friend back in his hometown of St. Paul, Minnesota who worked as an airline mechanic and made pretty good money. But all he really wanted to do with his whole life was go fishing. A lot of us like to go fishing once in a while; this man likes to go fishing every week, sometimes several times a week. I'm not going to knock him, because that's his great pleasure in life. But if you're in business, you can't always go fishing... at least not for fish.


07:48
Faizan
Posted in: