Is sales success about being born with the gift for sales?
It is a common assumption that successful salespeople are born with a unique ability for selling. It is true that some individuals naturally enjoy the sales profession and seem to possess some 'talent' for it, however, regardless of the inherent abilities at the start, successful salespeople across the board have to diligently work at developing their sales skills.
Let's define the difference between a talent and a skill.
Talent - A marked innate ability.
Skill - Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience.
The difference is simply this: Talents are natural abilities while skills are acquired or developed abilities. Zig Ziglar stated, "Anything that can be learned is a skill that can be acquired." We use the term sales skills because they can be learned and mastered by anyone willing to apply themselves to quality training.
As I lead training sessions I am often told that I have a "great talent for sales." I take the comment as a genuine compliment, and might even agree if I had forgotten where I began in sales. When I began, I was highly ineffective. One day I made 56 calls and received 56 'no's'. Apart from persistence and drive, the words and actions people see in me today bear no resemblance to what they would have seen in my performance when I started in sales.
When I began in sales:
I focused on products and features.
I spoke more than I listened.
I interrupted clients or finished their sentences.
I forced the close of the sale.
I was impatient with clients who desired more information to make a decision.
It is a common assumption that successful salespeople are born with a unique ability for selling. It is true that some individuals naturally enjoy the sales profession and seem to possess some 'talent' for it, however, regardless of the inherent abilities at the start, successful salespeople across the board have to diligently work at developing their sales skills.
Let's define the difference between a talent and a skill.
Talent - A marked innate ability.
Skill - Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience.
The difference is simply this: Talents are natural abilities while skills are acquired or developed abilities. Zig Ziglar stated, "Anything that can be learned is a skill that can be acquired." We use the term sales skills because they can be learned and mastered by anyone willing to apply themselves to quality training.
As I lead training sessions I am often told that I have a "great talent for sales." I take the comment as a genuine compliment, and might even agree if I had forgotten where I began in sales. When I began, I was highly ineffective. One day I made 56 calls and received 56 'no's'. Apart from persistence and drive, the words and actions people see in me today bear no resemblance to what they would have seen in my performance when I started in sales.
When I began in sales:
I focused on products and features.
I spoke more than I listened.
I interrupted clients or finished their sentences.
I forced the close of the sale.
I was impatient with clients who desired more information to make a decision.


00:42
Faizan
Posted in: