Saturday 1 September 2018

Confidence Versus Egocentricity

Have you ever glazed over when someone talks too much?

Do you want to tell that person, "oh, just shut-up. You're boring me?"

Do you wonder if people perceive you the same way? As jabbering on, that is!

Ah, good questions... And ones that you need to answer before you open your mouth.

Confidence and feeling "in the groove" when you're speaking is great. Unless you forget to check your ego at the door. Or are ignoring your audience.

I'm not talking about delivering a speech. There are tomes written about the need for confidence to get you past the anxiety of standing in front of a room full of people. I'm referring to a one-on-one conversation.

I just experienced such a situation.

I was asked to call someone as a favor. This person was interested in getting advice from me. (I'm an executive coach).

So, from my point of view, the person I was calling should have been sensitive about taking up my time.

Not the case.

I listened to this person for 20 minutes. I'm sure she thought she was giving me important background information.

Did I learn something?

Not much.

Did she check in with me to see if this much detail was necessary?

Was she sensitive about my time?

No and no.

This person was a senior, and well-paid, executive in her field.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Affiliate Network Reviews