Saturday, 29 June 2019

The Mafia Has Competition, It's Nice to Be Important (2 Poems)

The Mafia Has Competition

There seem to be a lot of things that really
are quite useless...
Ranks and titles, corporate heads,
and processed food that's juice-less.
Computer games, long fake nails, machines
to do your math...
Deodorants and deadly sprays
so you never need a bath.
Machines to serve your every need
and take you for a walk...
Gears and wheels to serve you drinks
with voices now that talk:
No longer do you need to write
or even think or spell...
Why these machines will fry for you
While you reside in hell:
If you have money enough to spend on all
these really keen devices...
Why... you will have more time to know
the most shameful of vices!
No need to fear the outcome
or wrath of justice court...
Since you can have a lawyer,
your goodness to exhort!

The Mafia has competition
in every wake of life...
Government and business lords
now wield the hit man's knife!
For syndicates proliferate
in churches and in schools...
And greed, hypocrisy and power
replace the Golden Rule.
They're really very popular,
and computerized to boot...
Their ways are most beguiling,
so charming they are cute!
So packaged well in fancy wrap,
the public does applaud...
As "super citizens" win a prize
for which they've lied or clawed.

Before I stop to catch my breath,
the list now seems quite endless...
I'd better bring my poem to end
or I shall end up friendless!
I only mean to point the way
to values less than harmful...
To love and live a simple life
and one that's clean and helpful.
I'm laughing on the outside
as I write and poke in fun...
But I hope that you will stop to think
and once again be one.
One bright and lively person,
a unique and healthy being...
Capable of work that's good,
with eyes true meant for seeing!
A heart that feels when someone's hurt,
and hands to help a friend...
Then you can change this poem for me,
and give it a hopeful end.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Affiliate Network Reviews