Saturday 10 March 2018

A Short SF Vignette - Pluto Waiting!

I live, on the planet Pluto.

I live like mist, vapor in a kind of impregnable bright bubble, as thick as the old walls of Troy.

Waiting, I'm always waiting, it is all I know.

I see the cold stars of night and the glitter of the sun-

At times I see the blue planet called Earth, it is nearly as old as Pluto.

It is hard for me to explain who I am, when I really don't know what I am, or how I came about.

I need comparisons!

And I know of none!

Thus, I cannot explain.

I am lonely and old, I know that.

Sometimes I feel like the thick ice on Pluto, numb.

The atmosphere drifts off the planet like someone smoking a Lucky Strike in an open bar, I got that information from listening to old radio waves-

I sense the cool silence of the long days here, as long as Earth's week!

Perhaps today is the day I will no longer have to wait?

A question to myself.

I see a metallic object from a distance.

I hear metal clashing with debris.

I can hear and I can see.

And I hear voices from afar, four-billion miles away.

"All right" I say, Earth voices are commanding the object!

Some of the words are familiar; can this object send a living being down?

It has an insignia on it.

If it lands I will look like a big eye to them.

But the object is just circling Pluto.

What are they doing?

It is a tireless task waiting.

Its construction is weird.

It took seven years to get here!

I've waited 10,000-years for this?

Now I know who I am! I think?

And I am nothing like them.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Affiliate Network Reviews